Or showed them these comic strips:
Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Literary Devices
My 5th Grade ELAR students had a lot of trouble with literary devices and figurative language last 6 weeks. They couldn't recognize a metaphor if it bit them on the foot! Next year I will have to find another way to teach them to recognize alliteration, onomatopoeia, metaphor, simile, hyperbole, consonance, personification, etc. I had the students write down the definitions of the terms (after asking if anyone knew the definition) and included an example of each term. Then I read something short for them to identify as a class. Next they identified literary devices in groups. Then they brought in examples of the terms. For a test review, I read many snippets of poetry and asked them to identify the literary device/figurative language used. They still had trouble identifying literary terms on the test. Anyone have any great Literary Devices lesson plans? Maybe I should have shown them this Youtube video:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think your blog is great! It's witty and at the same fulfills all the requirements by the alternative certification we are a part of. I really like your blog because it encapsulates so much of your personality. You can tell you put a lot of work into it. Great Job.
ReplyDelete